Kenya E-Passport Guide: All You Need To Know Before You Apply!

Travel, Travel Tips
Kenya E-Passport

Hello my friends! 😀 Are you planning to get your Kenya E-Passport anytime soon?

Well, look no further because I’ve put together everything you need to know before applying for the Kenya E-Passport!

About a week ago, I finally took the plunge and started my Kenya E-Passport renewal process.

Honestly, I’ve been dreading it for months now! This is especially after seeing the ‘list of requirements’ circulating online, sometime back.

But with the August 31 deadline fast approaching, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it!

And here on Scrapbook Journeys, you know we share all the good stuff! So, if you’re anxious or feeling confused about the process, don’t worry… I’ve got you covered! 😀

Our guide will focus more on clarifying what you need through each step…

UPDATE: The renewal deadline has been pushed to 1st March 2020

Kenya E-Passport

Before You Apply: Kenya E-Passport Requirements

As you might know, the Kenya E-Passport process begins with an online application on the E-Citizen platform.

>>So start by registering for an E-citizen account if you don’t have one already.

Step 2: For the online application you’ll need to input:-

While going through the online application, I noticed that you’ll need to have these details at hand…

• Your parents’ ID Numbers
  • Details of your next of kin (ID No., email and postal address)
  • Your birth certificate entry number.
  • Details of your kids and spouse.
  • Your KRA pin number.
  • Details of your recommender (ID No., email and postal address)
  • And before submitting the application, you’ll need to upload these documents on the portal:

-A copy of your ID

-Copies of the last 4 pages of your Old passport

• Money (can be paid via MPESA or Visa Card.)
  • The cost ranges from Kes. 4,550 for 32 Pages, Kes. 6,050 for 48 Pages, and Kes. 7,550 for a 64 Pages Passport.

Step 3: Prepare the Physical Documents Needed

After you’ve paid for and submitted your application, ensure you print it out and also print out 3 copies of the receipt.

The next step is to avail yourself at one of these Passport Centres in Kenya: Nairobi (Nyayo House), Nakuru, Kisumu, Embu, Mombasa, and Kisii. For our diaspora friends, check with your local Kenyan Embassy.

E_Passport_Kenya

Documents you’ll need:
  • Original ID and a copy of the same
  • Current (old) Passport
  • Copies of the last 4 pages of your old Passport.
  • 3 recent Passport pictures
  • Signed Application form
  • 3 copies of the Receipt (as proof of payment)
  • 1 Copy of the Recommender’s ID or Passport

>> The recommender in this case is anyone who is not related to you, but knows you. It can be a citizen of Kenya such as Church official, Legal Practitioner, an established Civil Servant or Bank Official.

>> Ensure the recommender signs the Application form and copies of your documents.

Step 4: The Kenya E-Passport Centre: What To Expect…

When you arrive, you will be directed to the queue, leading up to the waiting hall.

I got there before 6:30 am, and the place was already alive, with over 200 applicants ahead of me!

They’ll first check whether you have your Current (old) passport and a signed application form. You will then be issued with a number; be sure to hold on to it as it determines the order of service.

The queues though long, are well-directed by the Officers. After you’ve finally been served at the Counter, and your bio-metrics taken, you are good to go!

It typically takes about 15 days… You will later receive a phone notification, when your E-Passport is ready for collection.

Kenya E-Passport

Practical Kenya E-Passport Tips:-

I picked up these practical tips while at the E-Passport centre…

• For ladies who’re married & have taken up their spouses’ names, ensure you bring a copy of your marriage certificate.
  • If traveling for emergency purposes like schooling, medical needs or work, it’s wise to bring a letter as proof.
  • UPDATE: The renewal deadline has been pushed to 1st March 2020
  • Children with the old passport can apply.
  • Arrive early, and allocate between 4 to 6 hours for the process because of the long queues.
  • Carry snacks, especially if you bring your kids along. The wait can be brutal on a hungry stomach… 🙂

Although the process requires lots of patience, it’s quite organized which helps in transitioning smoothly, from one step to the next.

I’d love to recognize Moha, one of the officers, who really brings a sense of humanity and friendliness to an otherwise dull process.

You can tell that Moha loves his job, in the way he cracks jokes with and handles the applicants. Bless his heart! 😀

Kenya E-Passport

>> Check out this post: A Quick Travel Guide To Rwanda

Thank you for reading! I hope you found this post useful for your Kenya E-Passport application…

Do you have any questions and/or tips to add? Drop a comment down below. 🙂

And don’t keep this post to yourself, share with all your friends!! 😉

<<Stay. Inspired. Always.>>

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

Stanley
    August 21, 2019 at 8:25 pm

What if one parent is late ?

Scrapbook Journeys
      August 22, 2019 at 8:35 am

Hi, if you have an old passport, and are renewing to the new one, you won’t need to provide parent’s details…

Nicole Otieno
    July 31, 2019 at 8:46 am

Thanks for this useful guide. I’m planning to start the application process soon. Do they keep your old passport or are you free to leave with it?

Scrapbook Journeys
      August 1, 2019 at 8:05 am

I am glad you found it useful Nicole, my pleasure. 🙂 No, you get to leave with your old Passport, until they issue you with the new one. All the best as you apply. 🙂

Malibu
    July 30, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Thank you for this information, I will definitely look out for Moha

Scrapbook Journeys
      August 1, 2019 at 8:06 am

Fantastic! My pleasure to share and yes do say a big hello to Moha. He is a star 🙂

Patricia
    July 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this info

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:20 pm

It’s my pleasure Pat! All the best as you go through the process! 😀

Lucy
    July 11, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Sis, per usual, giving us a truckload of information. Personally, i queued for 6 hours as well as a true Kenyan I arrived there at 12 noon. I also met Moha a useful tips for the gents forget your drip you have to wear a shirt when taking a passport pic. We don’t deserve you Marion

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Aw thank you Lucy! You are a real sweetheart! Whoa, 12 noon- you are the true Kenyan!! Haha 😀 And thank you for the tip- I totally agree! Cheers! 😀

Mitha
    July 11, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Trust @scrapbookjourneys to always come through with those tips.. Oh and Moha is a really nice guy, I found him there as well the last time I was there..

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:23 pm

You know I’ve got you! 😉 Moha is a blessing to all, for sure! 😀 Thank you for reading dear. 🙂

Fenny
    July 11, 2019 at 4:13 pm

This is the most user friendly guide ever!!! You my friend are so bomb

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Yaay! That makes me glad to hear. And it’s my pleasure to share!! 😀

Glorious Musambai
    July 11, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Lovely post! Thanks Marion! This is quite helpful information

Ule Msee Wa B4
    July 11, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Am glad your Uber delivered you still on time to the application center . Thanks for the timely information as we try beat the Aug deadline. Let them know we need an extension already…..

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:26 pm

Hahahaha how could I forget to mention my brother, who woke up at the crack of dawn to make sure I got there early? What a champ you are my dear. Thank you! Haha, I don’t know about the extension, but I hope this helps to get more people to go and be well-prepared. 🙂

Wanjiku Thuo
    July 11, 2019 at 12:21 pm

It’s also good to note that though they ask you for the 3 passport photos they don’t use those…. they will take a bad photo of you with a webcam (maybe worse than the one on your first ID.) So you better go looking as good as you would want to appear for the next 10years hehehe

Scrapbook Journeys
      July 15, 2019 at 12:27 pm

Yes ma! You are absolutely right on about the 3 pics… I am hopeful about the pic they took though-haha. Thank you for the tip! 😉